tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Sunday, September 16

Never underestimate the damage after a race.

After Suzu tri, I had no sore at all and felt perfectly fine. I thought "Gee, tri is amazing! I won't need any recovery period". Then I did 30k a week after the race and next day I did a tempo run and felt great!

Two days later, when I was doing quick move drills (knee-up), I heard a big crack in my front-right hip joint and pulled the quad (大腿四頭筋). I went to see a doctor* and he said that this is the muscle you use intensively for bike, not running, so it should be caused by not having enough recovery time after the tri. He has a point.

Lessons I learned. Never underestimate the damage after a race. Even if you don't feel it, your body is tired.

I took 4day complete rest, then started to run again. It's been 10 days and today I ran 22.5km, carefully. It's a kind of giri-giri, but I am still hoping to catch up for my real race Tokyo Women's Marathon in November. I am trying to be optimistic, cautiously though.

*Kimura Seikeigeka Iin (木村整形外科医院)
The sports doctor Taeko and Yoshiko introduced me a while ago. It's in Hatsudai. He knows very well about running. I felt his diagnosis and explanation was quite reasonable. If you have someone to help you in Japanese language, it's worth seeing him.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At September 18, 2007, Blogger MilesandMiles said...

glad it was nothing serious ! Tri athletes still seem to be getting less injuries overall though no?

Good luck with the TWM training!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home