tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Tuesday, August 28

Suzu triathlon report.




This was my third triathlon and the longest distance ever for me. What worried me most was swim part. 2.5k in the ocean sounded pretty impossible to me first, but somehow, I chose this race as a summer project. I urgently needed to improve my swimming skill in 2 months. On top of swimming 3 times a week, I borrowed a "Total Immersion" DVD from Stuart and I also took private lessons. All worked pretty well on me and gradually I started to feel easier (never faster, though) in the water. It's always nice to experience your improvement through your training, and you can get it most when you are a beginner. So the improving process this time was so precious for me.

We had a beautiful weather on the race day morning. Unlike my first tri in Oshima last year, the ocean in Suzu was clear and calm, thank God! So I had less pre-race anxiety than expected. Although I had a bit of difficulty on navigating myself straight (sometimes I swam into others at right angle), I never panicked or drowned and could finish most-worried swim part alive. So relieved!

At the bike leg, we cycle 2 laps of 50.1km course. There are 3 significant hills in a lap and the third one is notorious "Ohtani Toge" where I saw many people pushing their bikes on the course. My target at the bike leg was not to get off the bike and cycle through to the top, so I tried hard nonetheless I was sometimes slower than people who push bikes. 2nd lap was especially hard with tired legs, but the spectacular scenery along the coast helped and competition against other women kept me going.

At the run leg maybe I should have tried harder, but didn't have enough guts left in me anymore. To be honest, I chose to enjoy the event rather than killing myself to run harder. I stopped at the every aid station (there are more than 10!) and enjoyed sumptuous water melon, oranges, lemons, bananas and umeboshi as well as drink and ice. I tried a bit harder at the last k and passed 5 or 6 people in front of me. Was I mean?

My overall time was 7:47:15. I don't know this time is good or bad, but this is the longest time I have ever raced and I am very happy that I could get to the finish line.

I became 8th out of 22 women finishers and won the age group, which was a nice surprise, but most importantly, I enjoyed the whole experience in this tiny town Suzu. Lastly, I would like to thank my tri mentors Keren, Jay and Stuart for sharing this great weekend. Tanoshikatta.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home