tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Tuesday, April 4

My first swimming lesson.

Monday evening, I joined the swim squad that Keren and Stuart organize at Tokyo Taiikukan swimming pool. I was nervous at first because I know nothing about swimming and everyone else was quite advanced swimmers. I told the coach Greg that I can't swim in the fast lane like others and he decided to give me lessons separately in the slow lane.

He told me how to use arm efficiently to capture water with some simple tips and they helped amazingly. As I continued the drills, I felt more and more comfortable in the water. To be honest, I was doubting if I could swim in the 50m pool without drowning. I don't think I can join others in the fast lane, but still, it was an amazing improvement for me in just one hour.

I will try to swim one more day in a week to do the drill.

◎Today's effort: 1200m swim

9 Comments:

At April 04, 2006, Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

omedetou!! It's great that you have a new challenge. It will be interesting to track your progress. You should set a benchmark by making your best time for 50 m now and then see how it changes over time. It will be just like when you started running!

 
At April 04, 2006, Blogger mika t. said...

Thanks, Steve. Well, it's difficult to time when you swim, because I don't wear the watch. I wonder how everyone else does.

 
At April 04, 2006, Blogger Keren_m said...

Wow Mika-san, you really are a newbe swimmer! There are big clocks with second hands at each end of the pool that you use to check your time with. Start on 0 seconds and see what the clock says when you finish your lap. Easy desho!

 
At April 04, 2006, Blogger mika t. said...

Shiranakatta! Thank you, Keren. What an ingorance, embarrassingly.

 
At January 07, 2009, Blogger kayro said...

Mika-san, would you be able to refer me to a swimming squad? I am barely able to swim but would be very interested in improving my ability.. I came across your blog while searching google for "swimming lessons" in tokyo. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

 
At January 07, 2009, Blogger mika t. said...

kayro, thanks for leaving your comment here. It's been two and half years since this swim lessons and I am still swimming and improved a bit. If you are an English speaker, this guy may help you, though I haven't met him yet... Here is the link.
http://www.swimfriends.org/

 
At January 07, 2009, Blogger mika t. said...

Kayro, sorry I realised that it needed a little more explanation. Greg, who used to organize the swim squad has left Japan and he recomended his friend swimmer, Steve Siegel(www.swimfriends.org). He now started a new swim squad from this month, but since its schedule doesn't suite mine, I haven't been able to attend it.

 
At January 08, 2009, Blogger kayro said...

Thanks Mika. I have contacted Steve and will check out his classes next week. Only downside is that there is only one time slot on the weekends that I am able to attend due to work.. but thanks!

 
At June 24, 2022, Anonymous Calvin Fuller said...

Appreciaate your blog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home