tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Sunday, May 6

Paris (not so running related)

After London Marathon, I visited Paris and spent two nights there for rewarding myself. It's been 18 years since I last visited this city and I was curious to see how it's been changed (or if it's refusing to change stubbornly).

The thing I most worried was language. I only speak 4 expressions in French, "merci (thank you)", "au revoir (good bye)" , "bon jour (hello)" and "s'il vous plait (please)", and I remember 18 years ago, when I spoke English there, people ignored me, and I knew they understood me!!!

The concern proved unfounded. People were nicer and I felt comfortable speaking English. In the Metro, I even found an ad, "Change your life with Wall street English!". I felt strong affinity as a English obsessed Japanese.

Anyway, Paris was beautiful as it was 18 years ago, and people were definitely kinder than before. AND food was wonderful.

I went jogging one morning. Started from Montparnasse, running through Sant-Germain-des-Pres, Louvre, Opera....I believe running is the most efficient sightseeing way.

Some pictures are here.



A pritty cafe in Montparnasse








Steak tartare







Notre-Dame






A view from Sacre-Coeur, Montmartre






Eiffel tower with vapor trails

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 07, 2007, Blogger MilesandMiles said...

Nice pics of Paris! and glad to hear you didnt find my contrymen as abnotious as often portrayed...

Your french is exactly at the same level as my japanese exept i can say "rightu" "leftu" "straightu" !!
Arnaud

 
At May 07, 2007, Blogger mika t. said...

I really love Paris now! Although I cannot pronounce correctly, I learned some names of food and materials, too since I had to struggle with menus at restaurants every time. Worth doing it, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home