tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Saturday, February 10

Time to build up determination.

All the hard 35km runs are over. Test half marathon is done anyway. Now it's time to build up a positive image for the marathon.

To be honest, I have been very soft in spirit during the training period, compare to my previous marathons like Tokyo W's and Nagoya W's. On the other hand, I have run the highest monthly mileage in January. And I don't want to waste this effort, just because of being lack of focus on the race day.

It is said that 95% of marathon result is determined before you start, and I think it's true, but now it's the time to focus on the 5% remainder. Appropreate race pace plan and well controlled diet are crucial, but above all for me, "mental focus" is the main thing now.

My target 3:05:35 is challenging considering my fitness level at the moment, but not impossible, therefore at this point, the determination can be the main factor to actually realise it.

Gambaru-ze.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At February 10, 2007, Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Mika, you are so right about how important the mental approach is now. As Ingo said in a comment to me on the Tokyo and Beyond blog, how do you make yourself attack a marathon aggressively when you don't think you have a chance at a PB? Well, he is right to a point and I think I was a bit too relaxed at Ohtawara for that reason, and although I still did a lot of things right, I was just off focus a little, especially in my final preparation.

But the thing is, in your comment today on my blog, you kind of blew my cover. I've been talking about just running sub 3, and I'm not sure if I am going to come out and boldly state on my own blog that I am aiming for 2:55, but in reality, if I can get my legs feeling good by Sunday, and if I have a good restful preparation and feel fresh and energetic on the day, I am actually very much entertaining the thought of a 2:55 strategy, or even, though this is very ambitious, the possibility of a PB (let's say low 2:54), but that would depend on being able to manage a strong finish. If I do that you will still find me crying in the finishing area when you finish. It isn't likely, but I am still trying to put my mental focus towards it. One week and 14 and a half hours to go...

 
At February 11, 2007, Blogger Ewen said...

Good luck! If you can put 100% into that 5%, I'm sure you can do it.

Steve, you don't have to state it on your blog - you did it here! Now I'm waiting for a tear-soaked report ;)

 
At February 13, 2007, Blogger mika t. said...

Steve, yes, I thought you should aim at 2:55 this time. Gambare!

Ewan, thank you. I need to work hard on it, though.

 
At February 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mika!

Just stumbled upon your web page. I'm from Hong Kong and will run for the 10km race this week in Tokyo too.

You trained so hard throughout and I'm sure u will achieve your PB!!!!!

Good Luck!

Jacqueline from HK

 
At February 15, 2007, Blogger mika t. said...

Hi Jacqueline, thanks for visiting my blog. Wow, you are running Tokyo, too! I hope you will enjoy the whole experience.

 
At February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mikaさん、

How's your Marathon day? I wish you enjoyed it a lot and I envied you are running on full marathon. I'm still a beginner running 10km for joining marathon as my 2nd year...prior country-cross running was looong time ago in high school.

Like Jacqueline, I'm also from HK but I will run on 4th March for HK marathon. I occasionally needs business travel to Tokyo thus I need to find sportcentre or checkmates for my last week practice. My office is located at Kamiyacho 神谷町 and Hotel located at 赤坂。can you please recommend some good practising place to me during night time after office hour? ありがとう。

Jacky より

 

Post a Comment

<< Home