tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Wednesday, July 26

Running with Eric Wainaina.

Last Saturday when I was running alone around the Imperial Palace, I met Eric Wainaina, Eri Hayakawa and their coach Nakajima-san. I was actually runnning clockwise to expect if I could encounter some friends or famous runners and it was bingo!

As I once interviewed Wainaina for Runners Magazine, he somehow remembered me and ran a lap with me!!! He was doing cool down jog after 800m intervals at that time and he said to me it's OK to run at my jog pace, but I tried a bit hard to run faster than my usual jog pace. It was so honoured to run with the 3 time Olympian (bronze at Atlanta, silver at Sydney, 7th in Athens), and he even gave me some advices for my running form. Wainaina-san, arigato!

He will run Hokkaido Marathon this August for his 4th victory there. Let's check it out.

Last week run
Mon: rest
Tue: 17k jog
Wed: 23.6k (10.6k jog in the morning, 13k at the Oda field and out & back jog)
Thu: 10.6k jog
Fri: 10.6k jog
Sat: 17k jog (5k with Wainaina!)
Sun: 17.5k at Kamakura trail (Jay, thanks for organizing)

Week total: 96.3k

4 Comments:

At July 26, 2006, Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Mika, that's so cool that you ran with an Olympic champion. My dream (or is it fantasy?) is to have a run with Q-chan ;-)

You certainy have got the km up now. Please be careful. I think it will make you strong if you can keep it up, but I am just a bit worried about the risk of injury. Maybe it is because I feel so fragile myself at the moment. Get some massage and don't forget to do hip flexor (clam) and core strength exercises ね!

 
At July 27, 2006, Blogger mika t. said...

Steve, thanks for your advice. Yes, I think I should do some exerises for my core muscle. Maybe yoga is good as I don't like weight things...Or swiming.

 
At July 27, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Happy Birthday Mika!
I wish we would have known earlier so we could have had balloons and streamers.

 
At July 27, 2006, Blogger mika t. said...

Jay, thank you so much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home