tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Sunday, November 26

Report on Tokyo Women's.

Sorry about this belated post. A week passed since I ran my third Tokyo International Women's Marathon. I am very pleased to have achieved 3:10:07, a new PB by 51 seconds.

I started my training 2 months earlier than usual year and spent whole summer running 100k per week to aim at 3hour marathon. However I realised that my target was a bit too ambitious for this time and 2 weeks prior to the race I finally decided to change my race plan.

Rather than setting a concrete target time, I set target paces that escalate at 10k, 30k and 40k points. 4:30/k for the first 10k, 4:25/k from 10k to 30k, 4:20/k from 30k to 40k, then 4:15/k for the last 2.2k. As the result of these paces, my time would reach 3:06:01 and more encouragingly I would be able to run a negative split marathon.

I know usually things don't go as you planned especially in a marathon, but I was curious if the slow first 10k can really contribute to the faster 2nd half and how my high mileage training would affect to the race result.

●Start - 10km
As usual, running slow at the first 10k in a marathon required enormous patience. I actually ran a bit faster than planned pace, but considering the long downhill at around 3k, I think I did well.

●10 - 25km
I allowed myself to increase the pace by 5 seconds per k, but still needed to be patient to curb myself.

●25 - 30km
The weather got really discouraging now. The rain got harder and we even had to fight with headwind and the cold. I passed more and more people, but the pace wasn't easy for me anymore and I couldn't help slowing down bit by bit.

●30 - 40km
I was supposed to speed up from 30km, but I finally realized that my target pace was an armchair plan. Yes, now I remember what it was like after 30km in a marathon, especially in this Tokyo course! I abandoned my unrealistic pace target and just concentrated on keeping on going. Because of dreadful weather and notorious long uphill around 38 to 39km, so many runners were slowing down. I only kept my motivation by catching them one by one.

●40 - Finish
I was exhausted after the Yotsuya hill, I was cold because of heavy rain and wind, but somehow I could feel some energy left in me. When I turned Yotsuya 3 chome crossing, I started to race again. I enjoyed passing nearly 10 runners and sprinting finish at the end. It was a bit disappointing to see the clock changed from 3h09's to 3h10's just in front of me, though.

Here are my splits this time.

5k 22:16
10k 44:40 (22:24)
15k 1:06:42 (22:02)
20k 1:28:46 (22:04)
Half 1:33:38
25k 1:50:54 (22:08)
30k 2:13:38 (22:44)
35k 2:36:35 (22:57)
40k 3:00:21 (23:46)
42.2k 3:10:07 (9:46)

Although my target pace plan wasn't fulfilled, and I was 7 seconds short for next digit, I am quite happy about my race this time. I could run solid 3h10m marathon under the harsh weather condition and at the tough Tokyo course. This fact gave me confidence for the future. And I feel that my high mileage training worked. I felt much much stronger at the 2nd half compared to the last year's Tokyo Women's experience.

I would like to thank all of you who supported me at the roadside and also who sent me encouraging messages. You supplied me huge energy while I was running. Last of all, huge thanks to Brett who gave me full training programme and inspiring advice. I learned a lot from that.

My next marathon will be Tokyo Marathon in February. I am looking forward to running it with many Namban fellows.

6 Comments:

At November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragements! The trick now is to plan your training to peak in only 2.5 months! good luck with that.

 
At November 27, 2006, Blogger mika t. said...

Yes, but looking at the bright side, we have already build our fitness level to the certain point by previous marathon training. Only you have to do is to add some more training on top of that!!! But first, we need the recovery physically and mentally.

 
At November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

otsukaresama! You really had a great race and were very courageous to attempt the negative split. I'm also looking forward to running Tokyo with you. And we will be able to induct Scott to Namban at that time. He probably doesn't realize that living in Osaka is no protection against becoming Nambanner.

Training from now on is going to be interesting. I think I will cut back the miles for a few weeks with an emphasis on a couple of speed sessions a week, then maybe get in some endurance sessions through January.

Ganbaremashou!

 
At November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, I just made a mistake. Scott is a blogger based in Osaka. I got confused with "Miles and miles", which is Arnaud. Scott's blog is called "In the Long Run"...please don't mind me. I'm getting old and silly.

 
At November 27, 2006, Blogger David 元三 Rubenstein said...

Mika,

a big atatatatakai hakushu for you too! And thanks for coming up to Ohtawara to Ouen..see you at the track..motozo

 
At November 28, 2006, Blogger Keren_m said...

Once again a great effort by you to get a PB on such a miserable day. You looked so determined and strong at the last turn heading into the stadium. Not suprised that you passed many over the final stages as you are very strong. Well done!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home