tokyo running days

A marathoner / newbie triathlete's training blog.

Sunday, June 8

Oshima Triathlon



Just a quick report.

Swim 39:36 (172nd)
Happy to finish within 40 min. At the very latter part, I had a cramp in my right calf and got panicked, but managed to complete with no kick.

Bike 1:17:15 (including transition time, 103rd)
So much fun to pass many people! 3 minute improvement from 2 years ago.

Run 47:30 (64th)
I seemed to have used up legs at the bike leg, and got cramp at my left hams. Lost couple of minutes. But luckily I had a bag of Sports Beans with me and the electrolyte in it helped me to keep going. Time was dissapointing, but I am still glad to complete the race.

Total 2:44:21 (110th out of 212, 9th woman out of 30)
Despite my slow run time, I could finish within my target time 2h45m. I am happy and had so much fun!

All Nambanners did so well. Espacially Chris Flannagan came in 6th overall and Vanessa was in top three overall women. We are so proud of them at the prize giving party. Tri debutant Anthony did great, too! He got sick in the water and had a crash on the bike, but still finished in very good time, 2:43:33.

After the race, we soaked in open air onsen, went to the prize giving party, enjoyed nice self tempra dinner at the hotel, then had a fun at a karaoke place to close such a joyful day.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At June 09, 2008, Blogger Ewen said...

Congratulations on your race. The placings tell a bit - true triathletes would have similar placings in all legs. Still, it's a fun event for runners as you get to pass so many people.

Good luck with your training for the 2:59 marathon!

 
At June 10, 2008, Blogger mika t. said...

Yes, tri is fun for runners. But this time, I really felt that I can never be competitive unless I swim better. Good to know there is some room to improve.

 
At June 10, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

Great job Mika.

You are a natural on the bike. And 3 minute improvement over 40k is really solid, esp. given your seasonal training.

39:36 is excellent swim time too - I am surprised you did not place higher with this time - Oshima is competitive. You can certainly improve on this time given how long you have been swimming. But then the downside of swim improvement is you don't have all the fun of passing so many people on the bike section.

 
At June 11, 2008, Blogger mika t. said...

Jay, thank you for your kind comment. This year, Oshima was so much fun. You really should have come (and sung karaoke!). Good luck on your 5km OW swim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home